Navigating the Beauty Wonderland: A Guide to Choosing the Best Beauty Products for Your Skin
Sometimes, shopping for best beauty products can feel like you’re stepping into a magical wonderland. An overwhelming wonderland of different beauty products to choose from.
Other times, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing, and sometimes you may feel helpless trying to decipher all the labels, ingredients, and formulas to choose the right product for your skin type. As the best beauty products can be absorbed into our bloodstream through our skin, it’s important to look for products with quality, non-toxic ingredients.
We put together a list with some tips and advice on what to consider when making your next best beauty products purchase.
1. Read The Ingredients List
Ingredients are listed in order of most prominent to least. Therefore, the first few ingredients listed are what most of the formula is comprised of. Also, it’s important to make sure all ingredients are safe and nourishing for your skin, especially the first few listed!
2. Avoid Harmful Ingredients That May Irritate Your Skin And Impact Your Health
While you are checking the ingredients list, make sure to keep an eye out for some of these common skin irritants:
- Sodium lauryl Sulfate
- Artificial fragrances and perfumes
- Triclosan and Triclocarban
- Petroleum Distillates
- DEA & TEA
3. Look For Nourishing, Clean, And Natural Ingredients.
To ensure you don’t have a negative skin reaction or breakout, look for products comprised of natural, organic extracts (plants, roots, seeds, etc.) + minerals + antioxidants and skin nutrients (peptides, Vitamin E, C, etc.) Also, these kinds of ingredients will soothe and calm any skin irritations, nourish the skin with moisture, act as a barrier against harmful free radicals, prevent signs of aging, and help treat any skin issues like breakouts or rashes. If you have sensitive skin, look for products labeled non-allergenic or non-comedogenic.
4. Learn About The Brand By Deciphering Packaging Labels And Symbols
When choosing a makeup brand or product, it’s important to consider the brand’s values and ethics. Do they test on animals or use animal by-products in their formulas? However, are they cruelty-free? Also, is their packaging sourced from sustainable methods and recyclable? Most makeup and skincare products now carry symbols on the packaging to help consumers understand the brand and the product.
Here are some common symbols and what they mean.
- USA Symbol - Product was made in the United States of America.
- Leaping Bunny Symbol - Cruelty-Free: not tested on animals.
- Vegan - The product does not contain any animal-derived ingredients or by-products.
- Gluten-Free makeup symbol guarantees products to have fewer than 10 parts per million of gluten, which means you'll be reaction-free.
- Recycling Arrows Triangle - Packaging is recyclable.
- Peta Cruelty-Free - Not tested on animals.
- Open Lid Jar- This is the PAO (period after opening) symbol: within what time period the product should be used after opening.
- Book- The hand pointing to the book indicates that there is more information about the product included in the packaging, often in an insert or on the opposite side of a peel-up sticker. Also, this symbol is usually included when there is not enough room to print all the product information in one place.
5. Choose Products That Best Suit Your Skin Tone
Knowing your skin tone and shade is very important when it comes to choosing a foundation, bronzer, eyeshadow, and even lipstick! Understanding your skin tone and skin type will help you to choose the perfect products to flatter and compliment your natural features.
6. Choosing The Best Products For Your Skin Type
When shopping for the best beauty products, it’s essential to know what type of skin you have. For example, those with dry skin will benefit from hydrating cream or liquid products, whereas those with oily skin may find a mattifying powder or mineral foundation to be a better choice. You will also want to consider the amount of coverage that will best suit your needs. Those with skin redness, imperfections or irritations may desire more coverage, while those with more balance skin will require less. Foundations that are highly pigmented are great options. In addition, highly pigmented foundations offer lightweight, buildable coverage without looking cakey.
Consider trying HD concealers, foundations, and powders. Formulated to appear flawless under intense light or an HD camera, these products enhance your look. Guaranteed to make those Instagram filters unnecessary!
7. Look For Duo-action Or Multi-purpose Products And Formulations
Trying to get ready for school or work is hectic enough as-is! Some people just don’t have time for a multi-step skincare and beauty routine. Products formulated to work as both skincare and makeup at the same time can be game-changers on these busy days. In addition, try looking for multi-purpose products to treat or provide many benefits simultaneously for the skin.
For example, concealers that treat breakouts as well as camouflaging them, primers that treat breakouts and balance oil control while extending makeup wear, mascara that nourishes and strengthens lashes while lengthening.
8. Read Or Watch Reviews And Testimonials
Spend some time to research the next best-selling product to ensure you get the bang for your buck. Also, reading reviews, comments, testimonials and watching videos can help decide if that new cult-face product is worth your time and money. Also, don’t forget to shop for your specific skin type - not all foundations and bronzers are the same!
9. Money-back Guarantee
A money-back guarantee is a great way to show that a brand truly stands behind their products and their customer’s satisfaction. Also, it’s a way to ensure you don’t waste your hard-earned money on products that simply don’t work for you.
We live in a time where there are endless options and choices for beauty lovers. In addition, our team are fortunate to have access to product information to ensure we only use healthy, safe, clean, and the best beauty products.